Sitting back in a quiet German beer-garden on a warm summer’s afternoon sipping on a browny-crimson colored beer called rauchbier (smoky beer), I thought how I’d almost missed this most remarkable small urban travel wonder. After all, I wasn’t really planning to go to Bamberg – just another nice German town with lots of half-timbered buildings from what I’d read – when someone in a hotel mentioned that it was home to ten breweries for a population of only 75,000! The beers included one that tasted a little like bacon. Better check that out!

Bamberg proved to be an architectural treasure trove of ornate palaces, numerous churches and narrow cobblestoned lanes, rich in history and relatively unspoilt by ugly modern buildings.

Over a thousand years old, Bamberg is sliced in half by the Regnitz River. Historically, one side of the river were inhabited by the deeply religious citizens and the other side by the non-religious middle-class merchants and workers. The picturesque town hall (Alte Rathaus) was built on the river between the two parties (see lead photo), richly frescoed and with its half-timbered building draped over the bridge most strikingly.

Bamberg was designated a bishopric around 1000 years ago, maybe for its site among seven hills similar to Rome and is spattered with historic churches and cathedrals. Indeed, it is often referred to as the Franconian Rome, being in the German state of Franconia. Two churches are notable and worthy of a quick viewing. Kloster St. Michael, perched on one of the hills is originally a monastery and has a ceiling painted with around 600 medicinal herbs and plants. A small garden includes some of these herbs and a superb panorama of the city of Bamberg.

The cathedral (Dom) houses the tomb of Pope Clement II – the only pope buried outside of Italy or France. Nearby is the 900-year old Bishop’s Palace with its courtyard encased in half-timbered buildings, the overhanging balconies draped in scarlet geraniums.

Further down the river is Little Venice (Klein Venedig), a row of small half-timbered cottages (originally for fishermen) sit perched on poles over the river with bright red blooms reflecting into the water below.

Walking in this grand town along the narrow streets and laneways seemingly uncovers glorious mansions, castles and palaces around every corner but tired legs will eventually steer you to a brewery or bar for a refreshing ale and some relaxation. I was driving so couldn’t avail myself of the self-guided beer-tasting tour (sold by the thoughtful tourist office) where you get to sample a number of mugs of local brews from the various breweries.

Oh, and rauchbier does taste a little of bacon, though I am assured that no pigs are harmed in the brewing process.

Things To Do on raveable

15 Responses to Bacon Beer and Bishops (Bamberg, Germany)

• laradunston says:

Oh, this town looks gorgeous! I’ve travelled a lot in Germany – I love the atmosphere of these towns – especially in winter. I’ll have to get back there one day and check this one out.

• Sherin - IInternals says:

This article looks awesome. Nice presentation style as well as the snaps are excellent.. keep good work.

Sherin – Iinternals

• jasperjugan says:

what a beautiful place to chill and have a beer!

• Suzanne Perazzini says:

I have travelled a little in Germany but missed that town. It looks worth a visit. I prefer countryside to cities but there are some that can’t be missed and this looks like one of them. Atmosphere is key to a great town or city.

@lara and @suzanne: Very atmospheric town that is well worth a visit. I assume it would be special in winter too.

@sherin: Thank you

@jasperjugan: Even a couple of beers…

• Lakshmi says:

I love the houses ..Ive travelled a bit in South Germany, but this town is amazing .

• Christine Gilbert says:

Mmm Bacon beer. Sounds like something my husband would invent.

@lakshmi: Bamberg is striking

@christine: That is what attracted me as well!

• eunice says:

I love those pictures! They brought back memories of the places in Europe that I once travelled!

@eunice: Thank you and yes, very reminiscent of many older towns in Europe.

• Marilyn Terrell says:

Fabulous ceiling with the 600 medicinal herbs painted on it– thanks for that photo.

• iWalk says:

Hi,Mark! So glad to read your post about Bemberg.

Yeah, Just as your comment on my site, It's not a crowded city full of tourists, But so many great smoke beer!

I love this city, I'd like to visit it once agin. :)

@iwalku2: Great city to visit and the beer is a highlight.

• Ken Duray says:

I was stationed there for 6 years while in the army and can tell you it is one of the best and most friendly cities in all of Germany. The beer and churches are only a small part of a great city.

One of my favourite German cities in a brief visit. I am sure there is lots more to uncover if you live there for a while. I loved the vibe of the town.