The word Chianti evokes images of tasty light red wines served from strange squat bottles wrapped in straw, marked with the telltale black rooster emblem on its neck. Though most actually come in conventional bottles, these wines are produced among stunning rolling hills in an area between the two pillar cities of Tuscany – Florence and Siena. One of the truly great Italian experiences is spending a few days driving or walking through the Chianti countryside with its quilt of hillside vineyards, olive groves and small forests on a backdrop of ancient churches, medieval walled towns, elegant villas, stone farmhouses and historic Florentine castles – almost unchanged from the superb Renaissance images of centuries ago.

Tuscany is a great place to open the wallet. Blessed with some of the finest hotels in Italy, the region offers opportunities to enjoy beautiful accommodation and sumptuous dining in picturesque surroundings on the grounds of working vineyards and olive farms.

Each of the four main Chianti towns (Greve, Castellina, Radda and Gaoile) have their own charm but the central Radda has best preserved its original character. While a car makes visiting the various small towns and villages much easier than the limited public transport, one highlight is a loop walk of around twelve kilometers between Radda and Gaoile (get a map to assist) through a number of enchanting Chianti villages and wineries.

From Radda, walk past a number of villages dotted on the rolling hills to the idyllic fortified hillside hamlet of Vertine. Walking under the entry arch (top photo) as inhabitants have done for almost ten centuries and past the stone keep and bell tower, the walled village of around thirty houses lining a circular street seems unchanged from the middle ages. There is an austere harmony about Vertine with its roughened wall exteriors built of stones that alternate from white to deep orange-brown. A small bar near the arch offers tasty Tuscan treats washed down with a glass (or two) of wine produced from the vineyards which radiate down the gentle slopes from this charming medieval village.

A little further on is the historic village of Spaltenna with its fortified pieve (rural church) and monastery, built in 1030, and now a hotel and restaurant. Nearby Gaoile is Chianti’s market town with a piazza of restaurants, cafes and wine shops and a good place for lunch.

Returning to Radda, the honey-coloured village of Volpaia is a highlight. Within its ancient walls, the castle was converted into a premium winery and olive press around forty years ago. This village slowly unveils itself as you wander the narrow curved cobblestone laneways, past an unusual eight-sided well and a church, now converted to a cellar. The wine tasting is quite a show including a memorable red with the lyrical name of Balifico.

Wander back to Radda and reflect on a wonderful outdoors day strolling in the Chianti countryside, uncovering historic hamlets while feasting on the centuries old delights of Tuscan food and wine. The travel wonders of Chianti epitomise the Tuscany region and there is no better way to fully sense and experience it than to spend a relaxed day strolling the gentle slopes of this historic region.

Things To Do on raveable

20 Responses to Chianti Classico (Tuscany, Italy)

• marina villatoro says:

Hi Mark, this is where I want to live! I’m not sure how I could manage to get my husband over there, since we’re about to make the move to Guatemala. But, I will get there:)
    What gorgeous pictures. My favorite are the wine bottles.

• jasperjugan says:

nice pictures as always mark. i’m wondering though, what do you actually do for living? seems you’ve been to lot of places already!

@marina: A good goal to have.

@jasperjugan: I am in IT and these places represent 20 years of travelling. I make it my business to save for travel as it is my great passion. I also lived in Europe for three years and travelled through Africa for one year some years ago which provides a good source of stories. I think most people can manage to travel if they put their mind and efforts to it.

• Martin in Bulgaria says:

Grerat shots an dcommentry. It just ouzes Italy. Chianti never tastes the aem exported.

• Erica Johansson says:

Great post, as usual. Tuscany sounds/looks lovely!

@erica: Thank you – a truly special place

• Ideal holiday says:

Great piece of writing Mark, you really bring Chianti country and yuscany to life.

@ideal holidays: Thank you.

• Anonymous says:

Great photos. Friends of mine went there lastyear and absolutely loved it. Hopefully my hubby and I get a chance next year.

• Patrice says:

Hi there Mark,

I should say that you’re really a professional photographer as you have took such beautiful photos in most of your travels.

I love the wine photos, the wrappers were made creatively. Wine is the most popular drink in Italy. Maybe those wines were made up of grapes as it grows in almost anywhere in Italy.

• Patrice says:

Hi there Mark,

@anonymous: I hope you get there.

@patrice: Very generous remarks. Wine seemed to be the drink of Italy (and France and …). It certainly suits the Tuscan lifestyle.

• JessieV says:

beautiful photos and lovely writing – sure is an enticing place. thanks for sharing!

@jessiev: Thanks

• Amy says:

Lovely post. Eventhough, I'm not the wine connoisseur, I still would love to visit. The view, the village and probably the food!

@amy: You don't need to even drink wine to enjoy the beauty of Tuscany and Chianti.

• Daida says:

If you loved Tuscany, next time in Italy, I suggest you visit Siena and its wonderful Duomo.

I have been to Siena and agree fully that it is a beautiful city with its wonderful Il Campo cetral “square” and stunning floor in its cathedral (duomo).

• Raffaella says:

Another area of Tuscany that is just as nice but less known to foreigners (therefore, less touristy) is the Maremma, in the south of the region bordering Chianti. Here you also find beautiful beaches – both rocky and sandy, nature reserves, a contemporary esoteric garden with crazy statues.. plus all the ‘traditional’ aspects that you expect from Tuscany, such as medieval villages, vineyards on hills, historic centers, great wine and food