Measuring just 24 feet by 18 feet (8×6 metres), the Little White Church or Evangelical Lutheran Church is not found in Germany, but in the tiny village of Elbe near Seattle. Claimed by Ripley’s Believe It or Not to be the smallest church in the USA, (though this is heavily disputed), the church continues to conduct monthly services. Capable of seating 46 churchgoers and built in 1906 by German settlers, the church is set on a backdrop of towering trees and continues to carry its German signage. The elegant steeple stands 46 feet high and contains a bell taken from an early train.

12 Responses to Photo of the Week – Little White Church (Elbe, USA)

• Dave -nibbleanibble says:

Whether it is the smallest or, not really depends on how you look at it doesn't it?

I love taking and looking at pictures of religious architecture and symbols. Although I'm not religious myself it's interesting to see the reflections of faith in buildings and art.

• heather on her travels says:

i like small churches, I got married in one that although a little bigger than this just fitted our guests perfectly, without us feeling it was half empty.

• transfer smart says:

I like small churches, it is look so good ,and the solemnity inside is always present, i like it very beautiful not the outside appearance but of course also inside.

• Sherry Ott says:

I guess in a church that small serving communion doesn't take very long!

• Vacation Deals says:

love the small church.. amazing place to visit…looking forward to visit this place too.

Wonder what they do when a member of the congregation gets married? I have visions of outside video screens and loudspeakers set up in the surrounding forest to accommodate the guests who can't fit inside.

• Vera Marie Badertscher says:

Ohh, that is so cute. There is a small Spanish-style chapel in Tucson that used to be a consecrated Catholic church but is now used for community purposes. My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniv. there many years ago and our son and wife got married there. If anybody is looking, it is in the old Ft. Lowell district.

• Shannon says:

I'm a sucker for the cute little old churches. It always makes me wonder about the people who have passed through its doors.

@Dave: Size does depend on how you look at it.

@anil: I am very similar to you.

@heather: I'm glad that I could bring back such memories of your wedding.

@transfer smart: This little church had a truly solemn feel about it.

@sherry: And everyone would know each other too, I suspect…

@vacation deals: I discovered it by accident just driving along.

@BarbaraW: I guess they either invite very few guests or host the wedding somewhere else.

@vera: What wonderful memories

@shannon: I often try to picture who has passed through the doors of old shops, churches, houses etc.. The walls have seen so much history and could tell so mnay stories…if only they could speak.