The photo of the week shows an exceptional example of the simply, extraordinary mortarless masonry skills of the Incas. The twelve-sided Hatunrumiyoc stone is part of an Incan palace and later the Archbishop’s Palace and is a short walk up a small street off the main square of world heritage-listed Cusco. As claimed, I couldn’t get the blade of my pocket-knife into any gap around the perfect stonework. The stone is fairly easy to find as souvenir sellers tend to cluster opposite the stone.

7 Responses to Photo of the Week – Incan 12 Sided Stone (Cusco, Peru)

• Vera Marie Badertscher says:

That's a great picture, and a great tribute to that area, just at the time when they really need visitors. The flood pictures from Machu Picchu are horrifying.

• Donna Hull says:

I enjoy close photos like this. After the terrible flooding in Peru, I hope this sturdy wall is still standing.

• Sherry Ott says:

Great look at something we probably don't notice much. The stonework at Machu Picchu is even more amazing once you consider they had to haul those stones up there!

amazing – I hate to think how long the poor inca stonemason laboured over that one – was it an example of his skill or did he misjudge it and have to make up for it by cutting all those corners?

@vera: It sounds like it will take some time to recover and I suspect will cause some economic strife for numbers of families in the area dependent on tourism.

@donna: I beleive that Cusco is Ok.

@sherry: The hauling, placing of the stones and carving is almost incomprehensible to me.

@heather: I guess we'll never know. Maybe the stone was a strange shape to start with.

• Dan says:

looked at this picture 2 weeks ago before going to Machu Picchu. There is another rock with 32 facets to it in another section of wall that is incredibly more impressive

@dan: Is that right – a 32-side stone. I wished I'd seen that when I was there.