The rich red clothing and colourful jewellery of the Masai tribesmen is wonderful in contrast to the dry grasslands. However the shiny metallic wrist-watch seems totally out of place.

Other South-East African Posts
Rocks and Rhinos (Zimbabwe)
Lake of Stars (Malawi)
Hunting the Imaginery Line (Equator)
Sunrise over the Masai Mara (Kenya)
Top Ten African Travel Wonders

7 Responses to Photo Of the Week: Punctual Masai Warrior (Kenya)

• Cecil Lee says:

Haha.. tribesmen wearing Rolex? Must be getting it by exchanging pose for photo shooting!! :)

• Trotter says:

Hi Mark! Sorry for another long absence, but after a busy start of the year I decided to make a break during the Carnival week, anticipating new hard weeks ahead!!

And what about the sneakers? The Masai at the village I visited had sneakers on… ;) )

Meanwhile, Blogtrotter 2 (there is a new one…) is in Haiti waiting your comments. Hope you enjoy and have a great weekend!!

• Ant says:

Just curious — did you have to pay for this photo? I heard recently that the Masai are known for demanding fees for photos.

@cecil: I am sure the watch came because someone paid for a photo.

@ant: I didn't pay for the photo but I know a lot of people do. Many of the African tribal areas demand photography money.

• Shannon says:

Gotta love the arm bling on the warrior! Great photo.

@shannon: The bling seems so incongruous but is worn with such pride.

• Anonymous says:

Bling in all cultures is valued. When I met some Masai I was asked back home for dinner. It took awhile to realise that the traditional exchange would be a gift and he really wanted my clothes. A different bent on an old theme.