Every month, Travel Wonders look sat an unusual or notable drink tasted in his travels. This month offers Almdudler,a non-alcoholic soda or soft drink considered the national drink of Austria.

Almdudler has both a carbonated and still form and is produced by adding secret herbs found in the alpine areas of Austria with water. It tastes a little like ginger ale but is more bitter with a hint of citrus and subtle herbal elements. Almdudler is a popular mixer with white wine (I tried it at a heuriger outside Vienna). It is a popular drunk as a refreshing less sweet soft drink.

A famous jingle “If they do not have any Almdudler, I go home again!” is recognised throughout Austria. The local pride is drawn out in the Tyrolean woman and lederhosen-clad man on the bottles.

Previous Drinks Around the World include Mint Tea from Morocco, Coca Tea from Peru, a French Vin Chaud, Bloody Caesar from Canada, a Pisco Sour from South America, Singapore Sling, Belgium’s Chimay Beer, Scotland’s smoky Talisker Scotch Whisky and the Czech Republic’s Becherovka.

Photo Source: Bottle

10 Responses to Drinks around the World: Almdudler (Austria)

• Sherry Ott says:

I love ginger ale…so this sound yummy! Will def. try it when I get to Austria!

This was a total surprise. I always associate Austria with beer!

• Footsteps says:

I'm not much for soda but have always liked ginger ale. The citrus enhancement sounds very interesting. May have to look for this drink in specialty groceries around here!

• Cecil Lee says:

Ginger ale is nice but I would prefer alcoholic drinks on travel! :)

@sherry: Far more interesting and subtle than ginger ale.

@BarbaraW: There is plenty of beer and wine drunk in Austria too.

@footsteps: I've never seen it in Australia but it could well be in USA as there is bound to be an Austrian community somewhere in the country.

@cecil: Me too but I like to try unusual drinks that I can't find at home.

• Andy Hayes | Sharing Travel Experiences says:

I don't love Almdudler but i don't hate it either. I have to say, though, it is my mother's favourite drink. Funny.

With white wine? I've seen the Germans mix beer and Coke – never thought wine and beer were mixable…with anything!

• kalesco says:

Almdudler, while a really tasty drink and I like it a lot, is not even near being the national drink of Austria.
    Also, there is no still form – only if it goes flat, which is not recommended.

I know I am way too late with my response, but still – nice you found out about Almdudler, but the facts should be right ;)
    What’s definite is that it goes really well with white wine, as it sweetens the often dry whites used for mixes (white wine spritzer).

Several folks I spoke to in Austria referred to Almdudler as the national soft drink of Austria though I suspect schnapps or white wine would be more accurately the national drink. Thanks for your response as I love feedback as often when travelling you only get a snippet view.

• Aubrey Blash says:

Ginger produces a hot, fragrant kitchen spice. Young ginger rhizomes are juicy and fleshy with a very mild taste. They are often pickled in vinegar or sherry as a snack or just cooked as an ingredient in many dishes. They can also be steeped in boiling water to make ginger tea, to which honey is often added; sliced orange or lemon fruit may also be added. Ginger can also be made into candy, or ginger wine which has been made commercially since 1740.