This expressive statue sits in a park just outside Chicago’s popular Navy Pier. To me with its subtle colours, the statue has a timeless feeling, representing the thousands of kids that have played in the park over the decades.

When travelling, I love to see the various local statues that dress the parks, city centres and gathering places. The variety of these sculptures in any town represent an aspect of the culture and spirit of that place. Do you have a favourite statue or sculpture in your home city?

13 Responses to Photo of the Week: Children Playing Statue (Chicago, USA)

• Donna Hull says:

This Chicago sculpture is a favorite of mine. Can't you just hear the children squealing with fun?

Me a Chicago girl and I thought I knew all the outdoor sculptures in the Loop, but I've never seen this one! Really lovely.

• Priyank says:

Hi Mark,
    I love watching sculpture art too. In north Indian city near the Pak border there is a famous sculpture of a soldier pointing a gun at a little girl, the expressions on her face filled me with despair and sadness. In Toronto, there is a statue of a little boy pushing a cartload of stuff, symbolizing the child laborers that early Europeans brought.

• Francesca Maggi says:

This one's even better than the kids playing leapfrog near the Saatchi Gallery in London. And, I recently took a shot of some great sculptures in Prague a businesswoman and a man rushing into a building…

But, if you want the flipside, check out my choice for the world's ugliest sculptures!!!

• Sherry Ott says:

Lovely statue! I'm partial to my old 'backyard' in NYC – Bethesda Fountain in Central Park. I can never get enough of it!

@donna: It gives such a sense of freedom and joy.

@barbaraW: Something to search for in your next visit.

@priyank: I enjoy the historic symbolic ones like you describe of the Toronto sculpture.

@francesca: Love your ugly sculptures page.

@sherry: Sydney has a few with my favourite being an old pig in front of the old hospital, who nose you rub for good luck.

• Sharlene says:

What a great statue! It really captures childhood so well.

• Jen says:

This statue makes me want to grab their hands and join them! Either that or run around that grass with my kids!

@sharlene: The sculptor really caught the joy of the playing children.

@jen: What a great sentiment.

• This statue is marvelous piece of work.Reminds me of my childhood and my friends with whom i use to play games.

• Caroline Burghard says:

Does anyone know who the sculptor was, or the name of the statue?